Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Crazy Carl Gets His Ring

Last night I caught a few innings of the Mariners - Indians game. Since it was on XM and the game was in Cleveland, I was treated to the Indians broadcasting crew. At one point they went into a story about Carl Everett receiving his World Series ring on Sunday. They said that, in an on field presentation, Carl was presented his ring by a dinosaur-like mascot.

When I heard that, I thought that was the funniest story I had ever heard. It's funny because Carl Everett doesn't believe that dinosaurs ever existed. If this work was the doing of Sox GM Kenny Williams, then I think Kenny should automatically win the Executive of the Year award, regardless of the Sox performance on the field this season. All I could picture in my head was Dinger (the Rockies mascot) or Barney walking out onto the field at Safeco to hand Crazy Carl his ring.

Unfortunately, it isn't true. Carl (and Joe Borchard) received his ring in a much tamer, clubhouse ceremony.

No comments: