Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Canterbury Tales - part the first

Yeah - that's right. I went with the obvious post title. You got a problem with that?

As you know, the trip got off to an inauspicious start with the news of the foiled terrorist plot to blow up the flight from the UK to the US. Thus making any and all flights between the two inifinitely more complicated and annoying - making scheduling and planning a nightmare in many aiports around both countries. Thankfully we weren't leaving for a couple of days and we had time to let things calm down.

Tad (my choir director) and I went up to Philly that night for rehearsal and had a nice evening with the director of the group who was going to Canterbury (Martha Johnson) and her husband (Dodge). They put us up for the evening and then Tad took me into Philly proper to drop me off to spend some time with my good friend Mary and her husband Tom. They are great people who just bought a new house in the Art Museum neighbourhood of Philly - we had a great evening of food, wine and chat. Walked all over the place and had a great time. I should have known then that the trip would be good with such an auspicious start. Who can be bothered by terrorists when there are such great people in the world?

After having a leisurely morning coffee/walk in the park we headed off to the airport and my anticipated battle with airport security.

I got there about three or four hours early so as to be safe...

And sailed right though. No problem. Had to sit and kill about five or six hours as our plane was delayed by a good bit. I finished "A Season with Verona" while we waited.

I was getting scared because I still didn't know a single person on this trip (except Tad - and Martha and Dodge, but they were still very new friends) and I was about to spend a very intense and close week with these people. This could either be very good or very, very bad. And I am not known for my extroversion and people skills...

I'll discuss the doings in Canterbury proper in the next post.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I groaned when I read the title. Luckily the story quickly picked up. I'm glad that the airport wasn't too much of a nightmare. I still don't get how you can buy a bottle of water in the terminal (past security) but can't take it on the plane. Whatever. At least that leg of the trip was good. Now I want to go back to Philly.

wiggins said...

They have to let you buy the stuff because a lot of people get stuck in teh airport for hours on end and they need to be able to eat and drink. Plus there are some flights you can take them on, right?

I am bitter I did not get a chance to get a cheesesteak. Guess I'll have to go back soon...

Mike said...

Oh man - no cheesesteaks? That's pathetic. I was in Philly for 24 hours last year and had 4. That's right - 4.

I understand that they pretty much have to sell the water, etc out there. But isn't there some sort of screening process to get food, beverages, and merchandise out to that secured area? There has to be. But apparently it can be secure enough to be out there but not to be on the plane... I don't quite get it.

wiggins said...

I was only actually IN Philly for like one day (I was mostly out in the suburbs), so please forgive me. Or not, whatever.

What they do now is do another round of security right before you get on the plane. They go through everyone's bags, etc., again, in addition to checking passports and boarding passes. It takes a while...