Thursday, July 20, 2006

Wiggins' Useless Picks

Okay - they should be slightly less useless than my World Cup picks, but still...

Here we go...

NL first -

East - Mets (Duh)
Central - Cards (Can't see the Reds holding it together for a real run)
West - Padres (they'll make a trade for a hitter)
Wild card - this one is tough, but I will flip a coin and say that Sheets and Ohka return to lead Wilwaukee to a shocking playoff berth.

AL -

East - Boston finally gets past the Yanks for a division title.
Central - White Sox get past the Tigers who slide as their young arms fade
West - A's (especially if Harden comes back at all, but I think the Angels just don't have the bats, anyway - and Beane has a trade in him yet)
Wild Card - I hate to say it, but the Yankees. Tigers REALLY fade. Yankees get Sheff and Matsui back for the stretch run and squeak into the playoffs.

How's THAT for going out on a limb? Watch out for the Tigers next year. I do believe they are a good team, and don't want to discount what they have done this year, I just don't think they can keep it up. Watch out for the Twins, too. Man - the Central is stacked. The Sox run may be over after two years...

4 comments:

Mike said...

I like your picks. I'm not sure about the Padres. For some reason I have a feeling about the Dodgers. But I'd love to see the Brewers make it.

I'm not sure about the AL Central. The Twins could end up back in the race. I think the Sox and Tigers have tired staffs. We'll see.

And it sucks, but the Yankees are going to surge. They're going to get all-stars off the DL for the rest of the way. It's like free trades.

wiggins said...

Yeah. I really, really, REALLY heat to think the Yankees will get back in it, but my gut tells me they will.

This might be the last year, though. For a while. They really have NO pitching...

I think the Twins have dug themselves too deep a hole. They will make it interesting, and may finish up with the Tigers, but I think they don't really get back in the race.

Good thing for you guys the Central still has the Royals - the Injuns should be decent next year, too...

Mike said...

There's a lot of depth in the AL. The Central is deeper than people think. The West is deep too -- I think Seattle's underrated.

wiggins said...

Yeah - I hate that. I used to be a real AL guy, but since I was seduced by the Marlins, I am now more of an NL type. It really pisses me off that the AL is so stacked comparatively...